Social networks are just that, networks, and a great opportunity to find and engage with new people within your industry. Twitter now has 328 million monthly users. With so much conversation going on, you need to really invest some time in Twitter to get any kind of cut through. However, with decent content, regular updates, and thoughtful engagement, you’ll reap the rewards of being part of a hugely interesting and connected online community. Here are five tips to help you improve your Twitter presence:
- Take care of some house-keeping. If it’s been a while since you updated your profile, check it has the right information in. Is there anything to add? Does it reflect the topics you’re actually posting about? You might want to add some keywords or hashtags so relevant people can find and follow you. Maybe refresh your profile image and header photo.
- Post good quality content. Generate your own content, or share infographics or reports you’ve found of interest. if you’re at an event, don’t just tweet whats happening, what’s your opinion on it? If you’re struggling for ideas of what to post, use tools to find relevant news and content your community is posting about. Tools like Nuzzel shows you the top content your community is sharing and Buzzsumo will let you search around particular keywords. And, take a look at your Twitter Analytics, what posts of your have performed best in the past? This should give you a good idea of the type of content that appeals to your followers.
- Remember to use hashtags to increase the reach of your posts and capitalise on trending topics. As you start typing a hashtag, Twitter will suggest them to you, but if you’re still not sure you can use tools like Hashtagify to look for popular and relevant hashtags.
- Check the time. Look at what time your tweets perform best and when most people are online. Analyse your profile with tools like Tweriod or Twitonony. Make sure your posting at the time you’re going to get in front of the biggest audience.
- Engage with people. Thats what social media is all about, not just broadcasting our thoughts but talking to people. Respond to people who have posted interested blogs, find industry Twitter Chats to join in. Use tools like followerwonk to search bios and find relevant people to follow and talk to.
Originally published on Nucleus Financial.